Friday 1 August 2008

London to Paris Bike Ride - Day Three Reflections






Today we did 79 miles from Arras to Compiegne and I am relieved to say that it was a much easier day than yesterday. There were just two main climbs and they were not too tough. We also had a fantastic fast descent after the last climb which went on for about 4 miles, it felt like manna from heaven!

We've been riding through the Somme valley today which has been very poignant. We have passed lots of memorials and cemetaries from World War One including the very striking memorial to Scottish soldiers above. We also passed a German cemetary, I had never seen a German war cemetary before. This one was the last resting place of over 22,000 soldiers, it was very moving.

We had a great spot for our lunch stop today by a lovely lake. The girls served up some fantastic smoked mackerel for lunch and followed it with what have to be the best chocolate brownies in the world.

Some lovely scenery again today with some nice towns and villages and some beautiful chateaus. What I don't understand is why don't the French ever paint their houses? You see absolutely beautiful houses which are spoiled by shabby and peeling paintwork. Surely Monsieur it must be worth getting the Dulux out at least once every hundred years! Best detour of the day was by some of our riders who missed a direction arrow and ending up cycling an extra 16 miles including a hill which was worse than any of the other hills on the route.

The drama of the day for me came as I was coming in to Compiegne when I fell off my bike! I tried to go up a high kerb onto a cycle path (the French don't seem to believe in drop kerbs) and the bike failed to negotiate the kerb and went down taking me with it. Fortunately both the bike and me were ok with the only thing hurt being my pride. The main casualty was the tube of sun cream in the back pocket of my jersey which split in the impact covering my jersey with sun cream which I suspect will not wash out.

I thought I had missed the hotel because I passed a sign saying that I was leaving Compiegne but then I saw the hotel across the road. The hotel was right on the edge of Compiegne which was a shame as it meant that I wasn't able to explore the city. Strange meal tonight consisting of a piece of meat with spaghetti and pasta sauce! I was rooming with Dorin again tonight.

Index to Photos (click on the photo for a bigger image)

Top to bottom


  • Lunch by the lake

  • Poppies in the Somme valley

  • Memorial to Scottish soldiers

  • German war cemetary

  • (far left) My room mate Dorin

No comments: