Wednesday 2 April 2008

Sunshine on my Shoulder



Well I'm back from a week with Doorman Priest and all my other Northern Ordination Course friends at our Easter School in Wakefield. It was an interesting but very tiring week with our days starting at 7.30am and not finishing until after 9pm most evenings. I've never quite worked out why people think that there is Christian virtue in getting up early in a morning, surely 9am is early enough in the morning for anything!

On Monday morning I was up bright and early to take a group of young Americans on a walking tour around York. They were part of a choir from Indianapolis who are on a concert tour of England and they were a lovely bunch of people. I felt rather sorry for them though as they were on a rather hectic schedule and were only in York for 2 hours before continuing on to Lincoln at lunchtime and London in the evening.

Later on Monday I was back on my bike after a weeks lay off. It was a lovely day and it was great to feel the sun on my back as I rode the 22 miles up to Byland Abbey from York. I'm pleased to say that my legs are beginning to feel stronger and although I didn't make it all the way up the hill at Brandsby that was the only hill on which I had to get off. I also felt that I'd still got quite a bit of energy left when I finished so I think next time I will try to extend my ride by an extra ten or so miles to finish in Thirsk. I pass through some really nice villages on my route and I will try and share some photos of them with you over the coming months. The village in the photos today is called Stillington which is about 14 miles north of York. It's a typical English village with a lovely old church and daffodils on the verges along the high street.




No comments: