Sunday 23 March 2008

One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure


The weather is still not very conducive to cycling in Yorkshire. we've had more strong winds this week and we woke up to a blanket of snow this morning. I'm praying that the weather will improve soon so that I can get out on the road.

Meanwhile I've been focussing on fundraising for the ride. Things are going well and so far, thanks to the generosity of friends and family, I have raised over £500. I've always been a keen ebayer so I've been having a clearout to see if I could find anything to sell on ebay to add more money to the bike ride fund. I seem to have struck gold with something I found in an old cupboard the other week. I used to go to lots of rock concerts when I was young and I recently came across a bag containing all the old ticket stubs from the concerts that I went to. They are all rather old and a bit tatty and I wouldn't have thought they would be of any interest to anyone. But I had a look on ebay and discovered that there are people out there who buy them. I've put a few of them on ebay and to my amazement they are selling like hot cakes. The best result so far is a ticket stub from a Kate Bush concert that sold for over £10. Overall I am hopeful that these old ticket stubs will bring in over £50 which will be a great fillip to the fundraising. What is really good is how far this money goes when Christian Aid use it. The £10 from the Kate Bush ticket could provide an emergency survival kit for a family who have lost their home in a cyclone or a mosquito net for a child in Angola to prevent them getting maleria. So I will keep clearing my old junk out in the hope that someone out there in cyberspace will think it's a treasure!

I'm off to Easter School this afternoon for a week so there will be no postings for a short while. We use a Police College for Easter School and the catering there is all geared around feeding big beefy policeman so I will probably come back a stone heavier and have to work even harder to get in shape.

3 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

I was at a police college for an Easter school too, and they fed me lots.

What a coincidence!

Danny said...

DP,

I dpn't think we were at the same Police College. I understand that the one you were at had posh en suite accommodation and your own personal housemaids whereas the one I was at had utilitarian accommodation with outside toilets.

Doorman-Priest said...

Oh, sorry. Would have been too much of a coincidence.

I must be on a classier course.