Saturday 14 June 2008

Now It's Getting Serious



The good news is that my cold has finally gone and I've been able to get some serious training in this week. I did 26 miles last Sunday followed by 46 miles on Tuesday. I decided that it was time to do two long rides in succession so yesterday (Friday) I did 56 miles and today I have done 70 miles. Todays' ride was a good one. My wife took me up to Hawes in Wensleydale in the car and I cycled back from there. Its a lovely route passing through Wensleydale and pretty towns and villages such as Askrigg (where All Creatures Great and Small was filmed), Bainbridge, Leyburn, Bedale, Thirsk and Coxwold. The village in the photos is a place called Crakehall which is between Leyburn and Bedale. Its a typical English village, even down to the men playing cricket on the village green. Its been hard going today though as my legs were very tired from yesterday and its been quite a hilly route. I averaged 15.7mph for the 70 miles which I was really pleased with, its been quite a confidence boost.

Last Saturday saw one of the more unusual events in York's social calendar when the third annual naked cycle ride took place. About 100 people took part to protest against the world's dependency on oil and the car culture. They rode naked around the city centre much to the bemusement of the tourists. And before you ask, no I didn't take part, I like to have something between my bum and my bike saddle' even if its only lycra!
PS. Doorman Priest thinks that I've made this up about the naked bike ride. If you follow this link you can read about it yourself.

3 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

"Last Saturday saw one of the more unusual events in York's social calendar when the third annual naked cycle ride took place."

Your nose just got bigger.

Danny said...

DP,

Would I lie to you!

Follow this link if you don't believe me.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/search/display.var.2327309.0.naked_ambition_of_green_cyclists.php

Pete Kelsall said...

ha ha - you're all mad up north!!!