Sunday 4 May 2008

New Bike - Same Old Legs




I made a momentous decision this week that I would change the bike that I'm going to use for the London to Paris bike ride. I've decided to abandon my trusty old Raleigh Banana that I've been riding for nearly twenty years and move into the 21st century. So I shall be riding the bike in the picture which is a Giant OCR roadbike. I had my first run on it yesterday and was very impressed. Its certainly much quicker than my old bike and it has gear levers on the handle bars which makes life a lot easier. It also has three chain wheels at the front whereas my old bike only had two so it should be a little easier getting up hills. The only downside is the saddle. To say that its uncomfortable is an understatement, its feels like sitting on a spike!

I had a good training run yesterday. I did 39 miles in 2 hours 30 minutes at an average speed of 15.4 mph. My legs felt quite good and I conquered Brandsby Hill again.

We had a nice drive out last night to the Yorkshire Dales and stopped for tea in a place called Leyburn. There is a lovely walk at Leyburn called the Shawl which is a ridge that runs from the village out into Wensleydale from which you get the most beautiful views across the dale towards Pen Hill. There were lots of sheep along the Shawl and I found one that looked as exhausted as I felt (see picture above).

2 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

You could try riding the sheep!

Danny said...

DP,

It might be more comfortable but I suspect it would get a bit hot in the summer and there's nowhere to put my water bottles.